Finding a stray transaction

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Mar 6 11:49:58 EST 2012

Grant <emailgrant at gmail.com> writes:

>>> Thanks guys.  Finally found the problem.
>>
>> Okay, for the curious among us ---  what was the problem?
>
> Well, I taught my wife to manage gnucash for me.  My credit card was
> reconciled but uncategorized.  My checking account was unreconciled.
> She needed to delete duplicate credit card payments from the checking
> account because they each appear from the checking account side and
> the credit card side.  For a couple of those payments, she deleted the
> reconciled credit card payment but didn't categorize the checking
> account payment as a transfer to the credit card.
>
> Is there a better way to track something like that down than working
> backward and going over every reconciled transaction?

Probably not, no.  Well, the better way is to make sure your
transactions all have the correct endpoints so you're never using the
Imbalance accounts.  And those endpoints should *always* be set/assigned
*during* the import process, so that the importer has a chance to notify
you of potential duplicates.

But beyond that, no, there's not really a better way.