Spam:****, Re: Profit and Loss Statement for Closed Books

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Mon Mar 26 18:29:51 EDT 2012

>Another excellent point, but this is, of course, a two-way street, and as well as commitment from the users there would need to be commitment from the developers to such a process.  I see little indication that the developers are interested in working with users in the way you describe.

Well that is where somebody like myself could be very useful since at
one time or other I have "worn all the hats". I think you will find that
with projects like these the developers number few among themselves who
have worked as "analyst sitting with the users". BTW, that is a very
important role. Users usually have only a rather vague idea of what the
system of their dreams should do. They may have a good idea how it
should behave "usually" but are close to totally unable to conceive of
all of the  exception/rare situations.

>>Gnucash does accounting for
>>me just fine, thank you.
>>

>Indeed it does, and in this regard it is entirely admirable and I have absolutely no complaint.  However, getting information out of the system in a useful form is somewhat problematical.
>
>Colin

How odd. I have never been unable to export data from gnucash and then
manipulate it as desired. I really think this is a matter of where you
think this manipulation should take place, inside gnucash or outside
gnucash.

Let's take a look at *my* requirement.

The report (hereafter called annual financial report) shall consist of:

a) A pair of "Income Statements" for two consecutive accounting periods
side by side. The account names should appear only once.
b) A pair of "Balance Sheets" ditto
c) Both of the above shall possibly have numbers in parentheses added
after items.
d) Both of the above, if "c": applies, shall have number identified text
lines or paragraphs explaining the item (which is in some way unusual
and to be discussed wen the treasurer's report is delivered).
e) A more of less fixed text, possibly a couple pages, explaining the
accounting principles in effect. Stuff like how large must an item be to
be a minimum size "fixed asset" and what depreciation schedule will be
used (unlike for profit businesses, a non-profit has some leeway of
choice but still must say what they are choosing to do).

Although that is a standard report for one type of entity (a non-profit)
I do not expect gnucash to produce that finished product internally. I
do expect it to be able to export the necessary data (in this case, two
Income Statements and two Balance Sheets)  and then I use my favorite
editor to produce the finished product. COULD I write custom software
that did this? Of course I could. Worth the time and trouble, of course
not.

Michael

Michael