spinoffs in gnucash

Stuart McGraw smcg4191 at frii.com
Wed Mar 28 16:39:22 EDT 2012

On 03/28/2012 04:16 AM, Dustin Henning wrote:
> Stuart,

I'll do that at some point.  I should have said I am in
the US.  In the meantime, understanding how to do this in
any common case would be useful -- I can tweak the accounts
and amounts later.

> I would
> guess that either the $8.50 becomes cash, very slightly increasing your
> per-share cost basis (from it's divided by 4 amount [IOW, leaving the
> appropriate cost basis alone]), or it would be capital gains, and as such,
> very slightly decrease your per-share cost basis (from it's divided by 4
> amount [IOW, lowering the appropriate cost basis by $8.50]).

Thanks for feedback.

I will try combining the spinoff splits with the splits
described in "selling stock" description in the Gnucash
Help to hopefully end up with something sensible.

> Unfortunately,
> this certainly isn't much help, but I wanted to point out that you are
> basically asking for tax advice from people who can't necessarily legally
> give it and may not necessarily give it to you for the correct jurisdiction
> even if they can legally give it.

I'm not sure about the legalities, but I think that between
someone claiming they are a tax accountant and are giving
professional advice and someone refusing to say anything
touching on taxes there is room for discussion and opinion
that comes with a disclaimer, explicit or implied (which I
take as the case for anything posted in this list), that the
opiner is not offering professional advice.