Reconcilling at the end of the year

Jay Ridgley jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Mon May 28 06:22:22 EDT 2012

Keith,
cc: gnucash-user list

I have used gnucash for about 2 years. I too think it is a wonderful accounting
package. I am going to take a stab at answering you reconcile question, others
may correct me, since this is the first time I have tried to offer a solution...

To reconcile 2 things are needed:

1) The banks closing balance from the statement for the period
2) The Date of that statement

Those are the figures you must enter in the reconcile box. The beginning balance
is kept by the system from the last time you successfully completed a reconcile
and may not be changed.

Cleared items should have been recorded prior to beginning the reconcile. Items
that have not cleared (as indicated by the bank statement) remain outstanding.
If the amounts are all correct the finish check mark will be green, if not you
need to research where the difference is coming from. Was an amount incorrect
between your ledger and the bank, did you not mark a check cleared that is shown
on the statement or vice versa. I have found that most of the time I failed to
mark an item(s) cleared that the bank has on the statement. You can tic it(them)
off in the reconcile window. Once you have completed that exercise the green
arrow should appear.

Outstanding items will remain outstanding until they clear the bank.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Jay