Multiple currencies causing account totalling problems

GCMAB nvgybsj8h7 at snkmail.com
Mon Nov 12 20:58:23 EST 2012

I'm struggling to get to the bottom of a problem with multiple currencies.

I have accounts in 4 currencies but only use 2 of them regularly.

Where I have transactions involving exchange calculations, both accounts
show the correct amount in the correct currency. So a purchase using
Japanese yen of JPY 13,000 for a Sterling expense account correctly shows as
about GBP 100.

The totals for individual accounts are all fine and displayed in the right
currency.

However, where there are grand totals for a set of accounts which are in
different currencies, those totals are wrong. The totals show in my default
currency (or at least with the default currency label of GBP) but the amount
looks as if it has been converted the 'wrong way'. For example, if I had 2
accounts under "Current Assets" one with a total of GBP 1000 and the other
with a total of JPY 130,000 the Current Assets total should be about GBP
2000 but it would be GBP 16,901,000 ie it seems to be calculated with an
exchange rate of JPY 1 = GBP 130 instead of GBP 1 = JPY 130.

I'm assuming I've set something up incorrectly but can't find where and it
confuses me that individual transactions are all correct.

Can anyone give me an idea of where the problem might be? I'm using GnuCash
2.4.11 on Mac OS X.