Trading accounts - when do they make sense?

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Fri Sep 7 18:54:40 EDT 2012

--On September 8, 2012 12:10:16 AM +0800 whwtan <whwtan at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Say if I were using USD for a month and had it as my primary currency
> in Expenses, that'd be fine. But next month, because I'll be in
> Australia, all my expenses would be in AUD. I am then being prompted
> for exchange rate every single time I enter a transaction...*ouch*
>
> I really love the idea of just being able to enter expenses and just
> use the currency in the expense dialog box but I figure that's going
> to make it extremely difficult to track things down the road.

If you truly have no country that you consider your country of
residence then I don't know what you do.  In my case I am unambiguously
a US resident but spend time in other countries.  The primary currency
of my Gnucash file is USD, but I have income and expense accounts in
various other currencies.  When entering transactions in foreign
currencies I use an income or expense account which is in that
currency.  This seems to work well.  When I am in the UK and using my
GBP bank account everything is in GBP.  The only time trading accounts
enter the picture is if I move money between currencies, for example
use a USD credit card to make a purchase in GPB or EUR or something
else.

As I said before, this isn't the only way, or perhaps even the best
way, to do it, but it works for me.  I'm really the wrong person to be
justifying or explaining how and why this works.  I simply implemented
Peter Selinger's suggestions in Gnucash since they seemed to make
sense.  I'm not an accountant and can't explain accounting principles
well.

          Mike