Posting invoices and bills

denisbkk denis at dcore.asia
Sat Sep 29 07:50:41 EDT 2012

I am trying to use GnuCash for a small business. I was entering some of the
company data including some bills and invoices. Now I have 2 things I cannot
figure out that have to do to what accounts GnuCash posts the invoices and
bills:

*Case 1: *
When I enter an invoice and the items on there have a VAT tax added, all is
calculated cirrectly, then when I post the invoice, the complete amount is
posted to my Income:Sales account. Is there anyway to control the way
GnuCash posts the invoice amounts? I used to have an accounting software
that would posts the invoice amount (without the VAT tax) to the
Income:Sales account and the VAT amount to the VAT Payable liability
account. Is this possible to achieve?

*Case 2:*
When entering a bill from a vendor, again with items that each have a VAT
tax added to them, then when I post the bill what happens is this: The bill
amount (minus the VAT) is added to the expense account I chose
correctly...but the VAT amount of the bill is added to the Sales:Income
account automtatically which at least in my eyes doesn't make any sense. So
my question is do I have something setup incorrectly or how can I control
where GnuCash posts to for invoices and bills?

I hope anybody can help me with this. Many thanks.