Balance sheet out - how do I fix?

bunk3m bunk3m at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 10:13:47 EDT 2013

Hi all.

I've been messing around with multi-currency and yesterday after I threw
up my hands in frustration, I decided to just take gnuCash's reports as
is and use those to drive the tax return inputs.  I can't figure out how
gnuCash does the currency unrealized gain ... (My manual calculation of
the realized and unrealized gains are different from what gnucash
calculates.)

I started working on the income statement and balance sheets.  2011 is
OK and in balance.

2012 balance sheet is out by $0.63.  I have an unrealized gain of
hundreds of dollars on Dec. 31, 2012 but can't figure out if the $0.63
is part of this calculated gain or an actual transaction.

And 2013 balance sheet is out $0.31.  The 2013 difference is exactly the
unrealized gain on the 2013 balance sheet.  As I closed the foreign
currency account on Jan. 4 and the currency amount on Dec. 31 and Jan 4
2013 are the same I shouldn't have a gain.

As I can't remember that I had this problem and just updated gnucash
earlier this week, I stopped dbus, downgraded to 2.4.11, and restarted.
Changing version did not fix the out of balance.  Stopped dbus and went
back to 2.4.12.

Next, I went back to manual backups that I've made going back to Dec.
2012 and I find out that none of the files have 2012 in balance. :-(

I'm stuck now and have 2 questions.
1) Would anyone have a suggestion of how to find which transaction(s)
have caused the imbalance?  I'm starting to change the balance sheet
date end or each month until I find something out of balance but am
wondering if anyone has additional suggestions.

2) I'm on a Mac.  I've been trying to find the automatic backup option
and can't find the setting anywhere in the Preferences or File:Options.
I do have lots of log files but no auto backup file.  I'm manually
zipping the full directory every week and move to removable drive as I
can't find the auto backup option.

Thanks in advance.
B.