? Corruption of reconciliation history

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 03:37:31 EDT 2013

I last reconciled my current account on 15th February, against a statement dated 5th February.

Today I went to reconcile the same account against a statement dated 5th March, but the "Reconcile Information" window says:

Statement Date: 05/02/2013 (UK date format)
Starting Balance £4667.77
Ending Balance £3533.65

This Starting Balance is incorrect for either the 5/02/2013 or the 05/03/2013 statement.

I opened the backup copy of the 15th February, and went to reconcile the account, and got the following in the "Reconcile Information" window:

Statement Date: 05/03/2013
Starting Balance £3158.20
Ending Balance £4750.47

These figures are what I expected to see when I went to reconcile the current file today.

The current GnuCash file seems to have the 5th Feb statement's transactions marked as reconciled (I haven't checked absolutely every one against the paper statement), and it looks as though whatever method GnuCash uses to keep track of past reconciliations has failed here.

I really don't want to have to go back to the 15 Feb backup, and re-enter everything!

Is there some way of fixing this without going back to the 15 Feb backup and re-entering everything from then on?

Michael