CreateSpace / Royalties / Automatic Splitting?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Apr 22 13:51:21 EDT 2013

Hi,

greyproc <greyproc at gmail.com> writes:

> Thank you for the response!
>
> The transactions I have in .csv are just single transactions. I wish to
> arbitrarily split the amounts when I import them into GnuCash.  Is writing a
> script to convert the .csv file to .ofx, containing the distributions I want
> the only way of accomplishing this, or is there facility within GnuCash
> itself for allowing me to automate these actions?
>
> Ie, Account A has $100. I want to, upon creating the transaction,
> immediately distribute $50 to Account B and $50 to Account C (as
> liabilities).
>
> Is this possible?

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking here.  Perhaps you can use a
firm example?  But by the statement of your question I would suggest
that you read the GnuCash Guide to better understand Double Entry
Accounting.  I say this because your statement "Account A has $100"
doesn't make sense.

If your question is: Given a transaction that says to credit my checking
account $100, can I split that $100 into, e.g., $50 to
Expenses:Groceries and $50 to Expenses:Home Goods, the answer is no, you
cannot do that automatically, and OFX does not support Split
Transactions.  The only import technology that supports that would be
QIF, but you would need to form the QIF file itself to declare the
transaction as a split transaction.  GnuCash cannot auto-split a
transaction.