Automatic Reconcilliation using MT940 or OFX

Egbert van der Wal ewal at pointpro.nl
Wed Dec 4 12:51:26 EST 2013

On 04/12/13 18:43, Tommy Trussell wrote:
> This sounds like a very shaky legal situation for the bank -- if they
> don't regularly report an itemized balance statement to you then
> surely you could sue them over a misunderstanding! Surely there are
> statements being produced, somewhere, but maybe you "opted" to not
> receive them?

No. I'm in the Netherlands. If I want to receive statements, I have to
pay an additional fee to receive them. I can download the transactions
from the online banking interface for any period I want (with a limit of
18 months in the past), and I can see the transactions and the account
balance in that same online banking interface.

> I don't know if you are in the U.S. or another country, but U.S. banks
> are required to provide regular statements to their
> depositors/customers. One can choose mailed paper statements or online
> statements, but most banks charge a fee to mail them nowadays. All the
> banks I use verify that I have downloaded their statements, and send
> notices (via postal mail) when I have not.
>
> In any case I believe strongly it would be in your best interest to
> get copies of the bank's official statements, and to reconcile your
> accounts to those rather than to a list of transactions.

The MT940 and OFX formats are more than a list of transactions. They
include a starting and ending balance for every day. How could this pose
a problem? For any given day, I can see the starting balance, what
transactions took place on that day and what the resulting ending
balance is. What conflicts can you imagine that are not resolvable by
looking at this information?

Regards,

Egbert van der Wal