Recording sales

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Fri Feb 1 03:50:01 EST 2013

On Thu 31 January 13 20:52:27 netoglick wrote:
> Hello!
> I'm very new at GNUCash, and am not sure how to do things very well yet.
> How do you record sales without making an invoice, posting it and then pay
> the invoice?
> Thank you very much for any help you can give me.
> Ernest

Hi Ernest,

You can just enter the sales transaction directly in your bank register, with
the transfer to something appropriate, like Income:CashSales

You may need to split out sales tax etc, which you have to do manually (but GC
can do simple calculations in the register, so entering something like
100*0.2 <TAB> would correctly add UK VAT, for example.)

Note that your local laws may prescribe a certain account structure and
proceedures, but it is easy in GC to avoid the whole create invoice, post, pay
sequence, which IMHO is a bit cumbersome for cash sales, when you don't neet
to track unpaid bills etc.

HTH,
Maf.