Gnucash versions 2.2.9 and 2.4.10 broken in Debian Squeeze

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sat Feb 2 09:01:59 EST 2013

At Sat, 02 Feb 2013 20:43:01 +0700 Ken Heard <kenslists at teksavvy.com> wrote:

> On 2013-01-10 16:53, Colin Law wrote:
>
> > On 10 January 2013 08:22, Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:
>
> >> Can anyone suggest a livecd image which Ken could get and dual boot
> >> with which already has a working gnucash?
> >
> > Ubuntu 12.10 includes a fully working gnucash (2.4.11) and should dual
> > boot with debian with no problems.
>
> I downloaded from the Ubuntu site file ubuntu-12.10-desktop-i386.iso and
> managed to write it to a USB stick.  Then I changed the BIOS in my
> laptop, a Lenovo R61 which allows booting from a USB stick disguised as
> either a HDD or a CDROM, and which has Debian Squeeze installed.  The
> machine knew that there was something on the USB/CDROM, but whatever it
> was it cound not boot from it.

You have to burn the ubuntu-12.10-desktop-i386.iso file to a CD-ROM.  I
don't think you cannot put it on a USB stick and boot it from there!
(CD-ROM booting is *different* from USB stick booting.) I believe the
ubuntu-12.10-alternitive-i386.iso file has the means of booting /
installing from USB (or other ways, including PXE).

> Examination of the USB/CDROM revealed a number of directories with files
> in them, but only one file outside of those directories which looked
> like something remotely bootable.  It was a XXX.exe file.  XXX
> represents the three letters in the file name which I no longer
> remember.  In any event, since any file ending with .exe is a Microsoft
> executable file, it would appear that Ubuntu 12.10 can only be live
> installed on a machine which already has installed in it a Microsoft OS.

This is a 'hack' to allow booting the (live) CD-ROM image from under
MS-Windows.