File problem

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 3 05:56:30 EST 2013

On 3 February 2013 10:42, David Ryder <dnryder at btinternet.com> wrote:
> Thanks Colin.
> I guess having the <name>.gnucash file in the list of files solvers the
> problem of accidentally opening a backup file.
>
> I have increased the number of files to show in the File>Menu to the number
> of books so now I don't have to use File>Open...

As I suggested earlier I think the best solution is to have a set of
shortcuts on the desktop or the launcher or however you like to start
stuff, with one for each set of accounts, then you just have to click
the right one when opening gnucash.  I use Ubuntu with Unity so have
made right click entries for the gnucash launcher for each set.  So
when opening I right click the launcher and see a list of accounts to
select from.

> Would it be a worthwhile suggestion to the developers that if one is opening
> a backup file, a warning notice is displayed ( "You have selected to open a
> backup file. Do you wish to proceed (Y/N)?

That might well be a good idea.

Colin