Now I have to ask for help

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Sun Feb 3 17:05:48 EST 2013

On Sun 3 February 13 16:38:57 Mike or Penny Novack wrote:
> I had been ignoring paying attention to people talking about gnucash
> automaticly opening the last books used.
>
> OK, our desktop is slowly dying so I have been preparing to migrate to
> another machine. Good time to update all the application the software, yes.
>
> Well I just got a nasty surprise. Gnucash wants to (always) open the
> last set of books that were open, automatic, no choice in the matter.
> That's fine for most gnucash users keeping one set of books for
> themselves or one business entity. But I'm acting as treasurer for a
> number of organizations in addition to my own books. So for me this is
> very unfortunate behavior as I am rather unlikely to be next time
> opening the books I last had open.
>
> 1) Is there a way to turn off this behavior and let me instead select
> from my list of folders? (added to the menu). If I have last been
> working on a large set of books with many reports, etc. I don't want to
> have to wait for that to load just to close it and open the books that I
> want. The old version of gnucash I had been using didn't do "automaticly
> open the last that was open".

Hi Mike,

Do you recall which the old version was? I don't recall GC ever not trying to
open the last data file in use!  I run 5 data files which I access each month
- I tend to navigate to the data file I want and let KDE take care of starting
GC with the selected file.

I've had a thought while reading your email - there used to be a command line
option --nofile which would disable the "re-load a file on startup", so that
one had to File->Open.  maybe you could create a shortcut/link/script to the
GC binary and append the option?

> 2) Is there a way to delete entries from the "recently opened" list?
> Since I was installing on another machine did some testing. I don't want
> all those copies of old data books listed forever just because I used
> them to test whether the newer version of gnucash could open them.

My GC remembers the names of the 4 most recent files, so over time your menu
should get sanitised.  I believe that it is possible to edit it manually (I've
never tried), something like "use gconftool-2 (with GC closed)", but YMMV.

HTH,
Maf.