1. Scheduled transaction editor(SX) 2. Gnucash quit unexpectedly 3. Chart of accounts 4. Column sort order

prl prl at ozemail.com.au
Thu Feb 14 00:40:44 EST 2013

On 14/02/13 16:08, Peter Kiessling wrote:
> I am a newbie. A few minor issues I could use some help with and didn't find in FAQ. MacOS10.8.2. Gnucash 2.4.11.
>
> 1. How to enter transactions (into working register) from "scheduled transaction editor." The template field does have a plus sign(icon) for entering I suppose but it does not enter the transaction into the working register.
I'm not sure what you're expecting, but scheduled transactions enter
their registers when their scheduled date comes up. If you have just
entered a scheduled transaction for the current day, then
Actions>Scheduled Transactions>Since Last Run... should create the
transaction in the registers involved.

You don't have to to use scheduled transactions for transactions you've
committed to in the future. For my credit card statement, for example, I
reconcile the statement with Gnucash, then the final step there is a
window to create a transaction to pay the credit card. With that still
on the screen, I go to my Internet banking, set up a bank transaction to
pay the credit card for a few days before the due date, and then enter
the corresponding details, including the actual payment date, in the
transaction window in Gnucash. I can't do bank transactions direct from
Gnucash, but if you can, the workflow would be different, but the
principle the same. I end up with a transaction dated in the future in
Gnucash, with the same date as the real-world transaction will be executed.

However, for direct debit transactions (e.g. my utilities accounts), I
have a scheduled transaction set up for when the direct debit occurs,
but I set the correct amount in the transaction when my utilities bill
arrives.

Fixed-amount regular transactions (e.g payments on my mortgage, and
payments from my pension) just sit there unmodified and push
transactions into the register for the day they occur in real life.

Future transactions are separated from current-day and past transactions
by a thick blue line in the register.

I use the Create in Advance and Warn in Advance options on my scheduled
transactions so I can see the transactions in Gnucash a few days before
they are actually due.

Peter