Transferring Data to New Computer

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 16 16:46:06 EST 2013

Quoting from an earlier message on this topic:

The file with the ".gcm" extension is not your
data file. gcm is short hand for "GnuCash Metadata". That file only
keeps information about what tabs/windows you had open the last time you
closed your data file.

Newer versions of GnuCash use the extension ".gnucash" by default for
newly created files. It will not change the extension on existing files
though. So if you are still working on the same data file from before
you updated GnuCash, the extension should still be ".xac".

If you're not sure of the name of your data file, you can open GnuCash
and look in the title bar of the program. It will start with the name of
your data file. This won't tell you were you stored it on your PC
though, but search for a file with the name you found in the title bar.

<endquote>

David