Outside partnership expense transactions

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 16 19:02:45 EST 2013

Mike--

Welcome to GnuCash.

You are raising a topic similar to one that has been kicked around recently: how to manage business and personal expenses in GnuCash.

Understanding that I am not an accountant, I think you'll find most accounting-types would tell you to keep your business and personal books entirely separate. In GnuCash, that means different GnuCash files altogether. Your bass strings, as a personal expense, would be entered in the personal books. They are YOUR expense--not the band's.

Bear in mind that in the personal books, you might set up an expense account for your job (as part of the band), connect that expense account up with a tax line, and deduct the amount on your personal taxes, if that is allowed.

Not being a tax or accounting professional, I'd advise you to hire one to advise you about how and where to document expenses, and whether it is legal to write them off. Once you have their input, you're free to run wild.

David