Help with General Ledger!!

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Wed Feb 27 09:38:06 EST 2013

On Wed 27 February 13 06:29:36 Drew wrote:
> I am having some trouble and wasn't sure who/where to turn to get help.  I
> like using GnuCash, and want to continue to do so.  I am having trouble
> opening my .gnucash file when I access it from another PC.  I'll try to
> explain...
>
> I installed GnuCash version 2.something back in 2010 on my Windows 7 PC.  I
> am now using the latest version - 2.4.11.  I then installed Ubuntu on a
> different partition and have a dual boot setup.  Everything works from my
> original Windows 7 partition, all data is there.  I saved my .gnucash file
> to my thumbdrive (using the save-as option within GnuCash), and I work off
> of that.  When I boot into Ubuntu, I can see the files on the thimb drive,
> but when I open the .gnucash file, my general ledger only has a couple of
> the most recent transactions on it.  Where is the rest of my ledger?  If I
> boot back into Win7, its all there.  So I am very nervous about what would
> happen if I need to rebuild my PC.
>
> How do I save my files so I can take them with me and work on them either
> from a different boot partition, or on a different PC?  Where are the rest
> of my general ledger transactions?
>
> Let me know what other info you may need, and thank you in advance!

Hi Drew,

The GnuCash data file is just a single file, and should show the same data on
both Windows and Linux setups.

My first thought is that perhaps the Linux installation has a register date
filter or similar in place so that you don't see all the transactions?

Look under the View menu -> Filter By... Date-> Select all... Status [tick
all]

Otherwise, are you sure that you are opening the correct file under both OSes
(not some back-up or old file in the Linux version)?

HTH,
Maf.