Re: reconcile starting balance

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Tue Jan 1 16:24:07 EST 2013

Most likely the balance is off because previously reconciled transactions either got deleted or unreconciled.  The way to move forward is to ignore the starting balance and mark off all the current transactions and all the ones that should have already been reconciled but somehow got unmarked.  Another thing you should do is run Actions -> Reset Warnings because you probably told GnuCash to allow you to modify reconciled transactions without warnings.
Unfortunately this approach won't help if you actually deleted transactions or moved them to another account by accident.  If that happened you will need to go back in history to figure out what happened, or try going to your backup files.
Good luck.

-derek

Sent from my HTC smartphone