error message 'no compatible backend was found for file...'

prihans prihans at me.com
Mon Jan 21 13:09:03 EST 2013

My notebook crashed when I was working on my Gnucash. I did save the last
inputs just before the crash. After re-starting my notebook, it seems that
the file somehow got damaged, as the program gives following error:  'no
compatible back-end was fund for file .........'

I tried to open this gnucash file in another computer that has Gnucash
installed, which failed as well, giving the same error message.

I tried to restore an earlier version of the same file, from the day before
(via file properties - earlier versions) and no success.

The program does open other (older) Gnucash files that were saved under
another name.

Is there a way to restore the damaged file? It contains a lot of important
new information that will cost me weeks to recover...