Split transactions are killing me

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Thu Jan 31 04:12:25 EST 2013

On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 15:59:45 -0800 (PST)
"David T." <sunfish62 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Will--
>
> I agree that the distinction between Tab and Enter is a little...
> confusing, and have questioned the distinction in the past. There are
> places in the Help Guide and the Tutorial where the distinction is
> hinted at, but I don't know whether it is explicitly brought up
> anywhere. I think it would be best to put something into chapter 6 of
> the Help document...

Some of this has altered over the years.
So <Enter> wasn't always instant creation of imbalance, but the
transaction wouldn't progress because it wasn't balanced. A warning
would come up to fix the transaction.
(that bit is dependent on memory)
I suppose that when Gnucash was able to use a database backend which
was saved after each transaction, that the <Enter> became the end of
the transaction. Making imbalances annoys me too, but I now check the
Imbalance account when it appears and edit the transaction that is
incorrect.

Liz