Odd behaviour in multicurrency txns

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Jul 19 13:02:05 EDT 2013

Fred,

"Fred Bone" <Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com> writes:

> [Gnucash 2.4.12 on WinXPPro-Sp3]
>
> My primary currency is GBP. I am not using the "trading accounts"
> feature.
>
> A week ago I used a credit card to make a payment in EUR. When the
> statement arrived this morning it showed that EUR34.80 had been charged
> as GBP29.95 (1:1.1619) but the company is now levying a "non-Sterling
> transaction fee" which in this case was GBP0.82.
[snip]

Do you really need to account for the expenses in EUR?

What I do when I travel is record the foreign currency in the
transaction description, but I keep all my accounts in my own currency
(USD).  My Credit Card is going to do the conversion for me, so really
I see no need to add a Dining expense in every currency of every country
I visit.

I would recommend you do the same, unless you have a real good
(i.e. legal) reason to record in the foreign currency.