Problem with saving to NAS Drive

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Wed Jul 24 22:25:28 EDT 2013

On Jul 24, 2013, at 9:44 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:

> "LOOPING, Richard" <info at looping.nl> writes:
>
>> I had exactly the same problem as the original poster, and seems not
>> many Windows users here:
>>
>> The open/save dialog box in gnuCash does not have the option to browse
>> network, unlike the native Windows dialog box. This is a bit
>> confusing.
>
> Complain to GTK; it's their dialog.
>
> You *may* be able to type the full path:  \\host\share\....
> But I suspect you wont be able to browse to it.
>
>> To open/save to a network drive, you first need to "mount" the drive
>> (so it has a drive letter).  Only then will it show up in the list on
>> the left.
>> It means you need to "mount" the drive before using the dialog box,
>> eg. using Windows Explorer. It that can be done while gnuCash is
>> running, but not from within gnuCash.
>
> Right.  This is the best option.
>
>> I think it is too much work for the developers to change the dialog
>> box to native... I mean: once you are used to it, its no problem.
>
> Yeah, this isn't going to happen.  GnuCash is a Gtk Application, not a
> "Native Windows" application.  If you get the Gtk to fix their File Open
> dialog then GnUCash will automatically get the improvement.  So you
> should file a bug report with them.  Hopefully they wont ignore you.

Gtk isn't going to change the file chooser in Gtk 2-24. Somebody did just that
last year and we got a lot of grief from the distros about making major changes to a
maintenance branch. There's also no Windows maintainer at this point, so an
enhancement request for a Windows-only feature isn't likely to go anywhere
even for Gtk 3.9 (the current development version).

Regards,
John Ralls