Depends: gconf2 (>=2.28.1-2) but 2.28.1-0ubuntu1 is to be installed

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 21:19:13 EDT 2013

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 4:15 AM, rsbrux <rsbrux at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Colin Law-4 wrote
> > Alternatively you could install from the gnucash ppa
> > https://launchpad.net/~gnucash/+archive/ppa
> > sudo apt-add-repository ppa:gnucash/ppa
> > sudo apt-get update
> > sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
> > sudo apt-get install gnucash
>
> Dear Colin,
> Many thanks for posting these instructions, which enabled me to update the
> default GC 2.4.10 installation in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin) to GC
> 2.4.13!  I went around in circles several times, and was about to try to
> build GC from source, before finding this post.
> What really confused me is that  http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Ubuntu
> <http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Ubuntu>   suggests to "Build GnuCash
> yourself", before referring to GetDeb and Ubuntu Backports, neither of which
> provide 2.4.13.
> However, the  building instructions <http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building>
> referred to warn that:
> /This page deals with building the developers version of GnuCash from the
> Subversion repository. If you are searching instructions for the stable
> version, you should read GnuCash#Installation. /
> referring me back to where I came from!
> I never did figure out how to build GC from the stable sources, as I got
> bogged down in trying to fulfill the dependencies, half of which I couldn't
> find.
> As a Linux noob, who isn't using it as a development platform, I found your
> method of updating from the ppa repository much easier.  Perhaps this could
> be added to the installation wiki?

Now I am confused about what exactly rsbrux did to update GnuCash.
Unfortunately the GnuCash PPA does NOT have a recent version -- as it
says at https://launchpad.net/~gnucash/+archive/ppa the version there
is the ancient 2.2.6 and is 126 weeks old! SO if anyone is reading
this, please do NOT use the GnuCash PPA for Ubuntu.

It could be rsbrux got the self-built or downloaded Ubuntu installed
and got the conflicting package worked out through trial and error. OR
maybe rsbrux got the GetDeb version.

The GetDeb repository is BY FAR the easiest way to update to the
latest version, but earlier in the year I deprecated the information
in the wiki when the maintainer said he was shutting it down. I see
it's going again. (For now!) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GetDeb says
it came back online in February.

To use the GetDeb repository in Ubuntu, follow the instructions at
http://www.getdeb.net/updates#how_to_install