Auto splitting for transactions?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Jun 14 13:44:19 EDT 2013

Hi,

Nico <elhansa at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi!
> I'm looking gnucash and so far seems really great, congratulation to the
> developers!!!
>
> I saw there is a function for splitting transactions manually, but need to
> know if some kind of "auto-splitting" could be accomplished. Ideally the
> function I need is to have a special account type where I could set
> percentages to different associated accounts, so when using this account
> the ammount of the transaction would be split accross them. With an example.
>
> -I have the a common Cash accounts, and three more accounts name A, B and C.
> -I have a special account name Special, this account distribute it's
> ammount 40% A, 40% B, 20% C.
> -When doing a $100 deposit from Cash account to Special account, behind the
> scenes what I'm really doing is to transferring $ 40 to A, $40 to B, and
> $20 to C.
>
> Hope my requirement is clear with this example :)

Alas, no, gnucash doesn't have this for general transaction input.

The only way to do something like this is via the Business Invoice/Bill
entry where you can set up a tax table that would compute tax rates and
auto-split those taxes into accounts.

But no, there is no way to do it using hand-entered transactions
automatically.

Note that GnuCash DOES support equation computation within the number
fields, so you could enter a transaction and say something like:

   10.23 * 0.05

And it will compute the 5% for you.