Favorite accounts window

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 09:40:50 EDT 2013

On 3/12/2013 4:45 AM, Liz wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Mar 2013 10:27:46 +0100
> Jesus M Diaz <jesusm.diazperez at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes, I know it is nor a big deal, but I think it would be easier and
>> firendly if I could marke few accounts as 'preferred' or 'favorite'
>> and I could group all favorite ones in a single window.
> as you can name an account anything in Gnucash (although some are
> affected by legislative requirements)
>
> So, for example 'expenses'
> I would make up an expenses tree which had two top level expenses
> accounts say OLD and CURRENT.
> just make sure that Current in your language comes before Old in the
> alphabet, or use numerals to determine them.
>
> Rename Expenses to Old Expenses
> Make a new top level expenses account Current Expenses
> Now just put the expense accounts which are current under
> Current Expenses (or Favourite)

This is a very enlightening thread!  I need to add a couple of comments.

1.  Users who are tracking investments  probably go at least four levels
deep in their brokerage accounts, so I do not find six levels that
surprising.

2.  Nobody has mentioned using account numbers yet in this thread.  I
will have to admit that I personally have tried them, thought they were
a good idea, but then failed to follow through with the implementation,
but others may like them as well.  The traditional schemes starting with
numbers 1-7 can be found in many references.  If the numbering system
imprints easily in your brain, go for it.  Also, some time ago there was
a related thread started by a person who tried using letter combinations
in the expense section of his chart of accounts.  There are some
potential traps there that are not so easy to avoid, but it is
possible.  It may also be possible to use letters in the account number
field, but I have not tried that.

David C