Finance::Quote does not work on europe stocks

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Mar 12 12:43:33 EDT 2013

Juan,

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll <jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net> writes:

> Dear Fred,
>
> I have subscribed to this mailing list (I formerly posted through gmane)
> because (i) this extremely low quality response deserves an answer and (ii)
> because having found the problem (I am not as stupid as you seem
> to presuppose in your email) this should be documented somewhere.
>
> You seem to imply that I did not even bother to read what the program
> output. What I was reporting is a functionality that does not work in
> gnucash any more but that was working one year and a half before. So do not
> treat me as a dumb user that does not bother to read error messages.
>
> Instead of producing a canned response, at least I took the trouble to
> debug gnucash and FInance Quote, i) having to learn how to build and debug
> perl packages, ii) going through your code, iii) inspecting what modules
> gnucash calls and iv) producing a solution to the problem (
> http://goo.gl/WaQwV).
>
> The problem is that Finance::Quote::Yahoo::Europe does not work any more.
> It is not that tickets are wrong (which they are not, if you had taken the
> trouble to look at http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q?s=alm.mc&ql=1 before
> answering), but that both Gnucash and Finance::Quote are cheating on the
> user offering something that is broken, for Yahoo Europe no longer outputs
> CSV for the tickets that denote many of the Spanish or German stocks, the
> ones I bothered to check
>
> /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnc-fq-dump yahoo_europe
> ALM
> .MC
>
> Now, it turns out that in the mean time people have produced other sources
> for specific countries and, while the Yahoo module is broken, Europe source
> works because it checks other stock markets. Being in Spain, none of the
> sources that Gnucash/Finance::Quote offered worked, so I cooked one
> http://goo.gl/WaQwV and submitted to the library maintainers.
>
> So, did I or did I not read the error message. Have a nice weekend.
>
> Juanjo

Thank you for tracking down the issue.  Could you please forward your
patch(es) to the appropriate bug tracker?  In particular, could you send
your patch to the Finance::Quote tracker so it'll be considered for the
next F::Q release?

Thank you!

-derek