Transfers Between Checking and Savings

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Tue Mar 19 14:21:15 EDT 2013

>"how much less confusing accounting can be
>than my previous spreadsheet based hack jobs (generated with no
>understanding of what double entry bookkeeping is)."

If one DID understand double entry bookkeeping the old fashioned way pen
and in on paper then you COULD use any typical spreadsheet program with
the pages with columns "ruled" the way standard journal and ledger paper
would be. BUT (very big but)

a) You would be subject to all the work of "posting" entries from the
journal to the ledger accounts.

b) You would be subject to transcription errors during posting.

c) You would have to do all the standard reports the old fashioned way
manually transcribing and again subject to error.

d) The ONLY help the spreadsheet application would be giving you is help
avoiding errors in addition.

THAT is the big plus of gnucash, that it is "autoposting" and able to
generate the reports (you actually enter directly into the ledger
accounts but a "journal" is available to you should you want one (as a
report). Errors doing "b" and "c" and the resulting work of finding and
correcting them was the nightmare of old fashioned bookkeeping. You had
to learn a bunch of rules* of thumb for guessing the probable nature of
the error based on the discrepancy but those mainly useful when there is
only one error.

Michael

* For example, if the discrepancy is divisible by 9 you probably
transposed a pair of digits.
123 + 256 = 379    123 + 265 = 388     388 - 379 = 9  which is divisible
by 9
123 + 256 = 379    123 + 526 = 649     649 - 379 = 270 which is
divisible by 90  (so the digits transposed to the left)
But that's just ONE of the rules for finding errors. Aren't you glad
gnucash never makes this sort of mistake! I learned in the old days
before computers were available for small scale bookkeeping.