There was an error parsing the file ...

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Mon Mar 25 13:50:31 EDT 2013

Hi,

My initial guess is that you entered in some opening balances when you
created the file.  There is a long standing, known bug in Windows that
causes it to create bad O-B transactions when you create an account and
enter an O-B in the new-account dialog.  The workaround is to not use that
functionality and to manually create the O-B as a transaction from the
account register back to the Equity:Opening Balances account.  Alas, the
only way to fix the errant data file is to manually fix the XML and add
the appropriate date data.

-derek

On Mon, March 25, 2013 1:32 pm, Peter Wilkinson wrote:
> I haven't searched for this error in the archives: the search page seems
> be broken.
>
> Was using gnu quite happily (for about a year) when today opening a newly
> created file I got this error message "There was an error parsing the file
> file://C:\Users\peter\Documents\gnucash\pendeen2013.gnucash. " I am using
> version GnuCash 2.4.7  svn r20813 on 2011-07-02. I have opened a copy of
> the file in Oxygen XML editor and it looks well formed.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> The file is available for inspection but would rather send it to a
> particular person, rather than post it on a public mailing list.
>
> Regards
>
> Peter

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745