Price quote retrieval not working

Frank H. Ellenberger frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com
Sat Mar 30 19:35:25 EDT 2013

Hi all,

Am 30.03.2013 17:24, schrieb John Ralls:

> On Mar 30, 2013, at 6:58 AM, Holtug <holtug at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>

>> When trying to retrieve the price quotes, the perl window comes up, but
>> nothing happens for 20 minutes or so (just a blank console window). Finally
>> it pops up a dialog saying it was unable to retrieve the quotes and whether
>> to continue with just currencies - which it actually does, but it assigns
>> the value of the Yen to GBP (and some of the other rates are suspect as
>> well).
>>

>> However, if running gnc-fq-dump it seems to be working just fine. See below.
>>

>> c:\Program Files (x86)\gnucash\bin>perl gnc-fq-dump usa BLL
>>
>> Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
>>
>>     symbol: BLL                  <=== required
>>
>>       date: 03/28/2013           <=== required
>>
>>   currency: USD                  <=== required
>>
>>       last: 47.58                <=\
>>
>>        nav:                      <=== one of these
>>
>>      price: 47.58                <=/
>>
>>   timezone:                      <=== optional

@Bente, which FQ-version are you using? You can get it by calling
  gnc-fq-check
At some point in the past, currencies stopped working in 1.17
That is one reason, why 1.18 was released.

With FQ 1.18 I get the same output as you, with the verbose option
additional:

All fields returned by Finance::Quote for stock BLL

stock           field  value
-----           -----  -----
BLL               ask:
BLL           avg_vol: 868354
BLL               bid:
BLL               cap: 7110000000
BLL             close: 47.34
BLL          currency: USD
BLL              date: 03/28/2013
BLL         day_range: 47.13 - 47.63
BLL               div: 0.43
BLL          div_date: Mar 15
BLL         div_yield: 0.91
BLL               eps: 2.552
BLL            ex_div: Feb 27
BLL              high: 47.63
BLL           isodate: 2013-03-28
BLL              last: 47.58
BLL               low: 47.13
BLL            method: yahoo
BLL              name: Ball Corporation
BLL               net: +0.24
BLL              open: 47.33
BLL          p_change: +0.51
BLL                pe: 18.55
BLL             price: 47.58
BLL           success: 1
BLL            symbol: BLL
BLL              time: 16:01

BLL            volume: 823989

BLL        year_range: 38.39 - 47.63

Also
  echo '(usa "BLL")' | gnc-fq-helper

(("BLL" (symbol . "BLL") (gnc:time-no-zone . "2013-03-28 16:01:00")
(last . 47.58) (currency . "USD")))

looks fine to me. The strange wrapping is caused by thunderbird.

> It sounds like one or more of your sources has changed something and broken F::Q. Test each
> one with gnc-fq-dump until you find the one that's broken.

method: yahoo
seems to work well in 1.18
I have no problems to fetch the price in GnuCash 2.4.11

> You can raise a bug about that with F::Q. While they work on it, you can try to find alternate sources
> for your quotes or just disable whichever ones are failing so that the rest work.
>
> The currency problem is likely separate unless those quotes are coming from the same source.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

Regards
Frank