gnucash setup

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue May 28 12:37:04 EDT 2013

Hi,

Please keep messages on the gnucash-user list so that you can benefit
from the full range of users to answer your questions.  You can do this
via your mailer's reply-to-list or reply-all functionality.  When you
send mail just to me (or just to any other user) without copying the
list your answers may be severely delayed (for example, I was offline
pretty much all weekend).

JOSEPH AIELLO <jraiello at verizon.net> writes:

>                 Hi Derek;
>
>                 I am still having problems in setting up the account.
>
>                 I set up a simple account and right off the bat I went screwy.

The only thing that looks screwey to me is the "Equity Statement".  My
guess is that you're including both your Checking and Equity accounts in
the report.  What accounts are selected in the report options?
Honestly, I have never used that report, personally.  All the rest of
your reports look completely reasonable.

>                 set up the acct initially with $1000,did nothing else, yet
>                 wound up with $2000 for investment. Is this possible?
>                 attached should be 5 snapshots of Gnucash stuff.

It is possible if you have the wrong set of accounts configured for the
report.

>                 Can you test this? setup a account  with $1000 and see what
>                 you get?

Sure.  When I do I get the same results as you.  Honestly, it looks like
the report is wrong.  I suggest you file a bug report.  Like I said,
I've never used this report report.  I had to search to even find it.
The only reports I tend to use are the P&L, Balance Sheet, Transaction
Report, and sometimes a Cash Flow.

>                 p.s. how come when I do options > display and uncheck "omit
>                 zero balance fiqures" it is valid for that instance only?

This is as designed -- you are setting the options for that instance of
that report.  You can have multiple instances of the same report set up
with different configurations.  There is no global report configuration
for "omit zero balance figures".

>                 Is this beyond me?

I don't know, you tell me.