Support for Multiple Sets of Books

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Fri Nov 8 08:44:44 EST 2013

On Fri 8 November 13 07:31:01 Jay Ridgley wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I will be needing to have two separate sets of books soon. I would like to
> be able to use them at the same time (both sets OPEN). I would like to be
> able to use the same computer system  and not have to purchase a new system
> since both of the organizations are non profits.
>
> I think that I could have both reside on the same system and open (start
> gnucash) and close (quit gnucash) as I move between them. However having
> both open at the same time would be ideal.
>
> I use Ubuntu and would have each organization in a different workspace. Each
> will have banking and other interfaces necessary to support their
> activities. These items must be available concurrently.
>
> Thoughts please...
>
> Regards,
> Jay

Hi Jay,

Effectively no problem.  You can have several instances of GC running at the
same time (well, I can on OpenSuSE) each operating on a different datafile.

Some things are per-user, though, like preferences and custom reports, which
may be somewhat inconvenient to your workflow.  YMMV, I suppose.

HTH,
Maf.