Guile 1.8 vs 2.0 (was: Re: building from source.)

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Tue Nov 12 04:58:29 EST 2013

Hi Alex,

On Tuesday 12 November 2013 09:41:29 mcmurchy1917-gnucash at yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> I've come into this chat a bit late. I have gnucash running on
> Slackware.
>
> In the last few weeks slackware has swapped over to using guile 2.0.9
> previously it was on 1.8.8.
>
> To enable gnucash to work I installed guile 1.8.8 to sit in my distro
> as a standalone package and to sit alongside guile 2.0.9.
>
> See http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/gnucash-on-> slackware-14-1-a-4175483337/ for more information.
>

> My question here is this thread about getting the 2.4 gnucash series
> working with guile 2.0?

No, this thread is about guile 2 for GnuCash 2.5.x and up.

GnuCash 2.4 won't work with guile 2. The developers chose to continue to support guile 1.6 in
the GnuCash 2.4 stable series. Supporting both guile 1.6 and guile 2 would require hacks that
are not worth the effort.

> While I'm here what's the outlook for the gnucash 2.6 series?

Barring unexpected serious issues, GnuCash 2.6.0 is planned for the last week of December.
We are currently in feature freeze and ironing out the last remaining issues, with string freeze
coming up with an intermediate release later this week.

Geert