GnuCash copy of original file was deleted!

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 19:33:36 EDT 2013

On 1 Oct 2013, at 21:53, Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 22:13:56 -0700 (PDT)
> crazy_cat <info at freie-bildung.ch> wrote:
>
>> Thanks - but unfortunately not everything that helps: (I already have
>> before I Asked my question, searches the entire Mac And found all
>> files with the extension, but all are well as the deleted file.
>> "Gnucash.".
>>
>> I usually make weekly backups, but since I have worked through these
>> accounts in three nights - of which there is no backup. So I can not
>> restore anything.
>>
>> Mary
>>

> Mary, not all the files you have been asked to find end in .gnucash
> some of them are .gnucash.log
>
> If you didn't find any of those, then you have missed the place where
> the files are stored.
>
> If you worked through the financial transactions in three nights, I
> assume you saved at least twice, and will have those files somewhere on
> your hard drive.

This is very strange, Mary, unless you have switched off  the "Auto-save" feature. You can adjust this in "Preferences", in the "General" section - I have mine set up to auto-save every 5 minutes.

-rw-r--r--  1 michaelhendry  staff     2274  2 Oct 00:11 MDH.gnucash.20131002001117.log
-rw-------  2 michaelhendry  staff        0  2 Oct 00:11 MDH.gnucash.0.3815.LNK
-rw-------  2 michaelhendry  staff        0  2 Oct 00:11 MDH.gnucash.LCK
-rw-r--r--  1 michaelhendry  staff     2339  1 Oct 00:52 MDH.gnucash.20131001005248.log
-rwx------  1 michaelhendry  staff   460176  1 Oct 00:52 MDH.gnucash
-rw-r--r--  1 michaelhendry  staff    37642  1 Oct 00:52 MDH.gnucash.20131001005234.log
-rw-r--r--  1 michaelhendry  staff     2339 29 Sep 23:23 MDH.gnucash.20130929163414.log
-rwx------  1 michaelhendry  staff   456758 29 Sep 16:34 MDH.gnucash.20131001005245.gnucash
-rw-r--r--  1 michaelhendry  staff     1504 29 Sep 16:30 MDH.gnucash.20130929161445.log
-rwx------  1 michaelhendry  staff   456237 29 Sep 16:14 MDH.gnucash.20130929163412.gnucash

I've just started up GnuCash, and the above is the first ten lines of a directory listing of my accounts folder.

You'll notice there is a single "MDH.gnucash" file, which is the current one, and several older files, all having the "gnucash" extension at the end, but which are time-stamped backups, taken up to five minutes after I have made any changes to the accounts.

As Liz says (unless you left your computer switched on continuously during your three night data-entry marathon) you should at least have a couple of backups taken when you restarted GnuCash for the second and third sessions.

Can you please describe how you went about entering all your transactions, whether you saved the file after you'd finished entering them, and how you went about deleting all the entries to set yourself up for the new accounting year?

Michael