undo close books?

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 09:07:57 EDT 2013

On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 3:19 AM, David Carlson
<david.carlson.417 at gmail.com>wrote:

> So far only David T has mentioned the Tools > Close Book function which
> the OP was concerned about.

> What that function does not address is changes to assets or liabilities
> that may cause errors in the balance reports.  However, most countries
> (I think) are concerned with taxing income and they don't care about
> assets or liabilities unless they are sold, which causes a real and
> audit-able event.

One thing that you CAN do to "lock" changes to an account in GnuCash is to
BALANCE the account. Then (unless you have chosen to ignore the warnings,
which you can always reset) GnuCash will warn you before you make any sort
of change to the accounts, even to the text of transactions (which wouldn't
affect the balance).

For example I often balance even my Cash in Wallet account; not so that I
don't accidentally change old transactions, but so that I can have an
estimate for the money I have spent but neglected to record. However,
having all my current asset accounts balanced makes it much less likely I
will change an old transaction. (Sometimes need to update a description on
a balanced transaction, so I acknowledge what I'm doing and proceed. I
never change the transaction amounts on a balanced account because that
would cause trouble.)