undo close books?

Mike Evans mikee at saxicola.idps.co.uk
Fri Oct 4 09:39:39 EDT 2013

On Fri, 04 Oct 2013 08:59:01 -0400
Mike or Penny Novack <stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com> wrote:

> Geoff Jankowski wrote:
>
> >William
> >
> >I confess I take a different view.  On my VT accounts package I lock each year.  If I try to enter something in a prior year I get a message and if I really want to make the change I can but it serves as a good reminder not to mess with prior year accounts.  I do not see this as an accountant demand but a user discipline aid for those of us that run our own business and accounts.  We are so busy trying to make money that we do not have time to be accounting principles experts as well.

If your transactions up to year end have been reconciled then attempting to change a reconciled transaction/split will pop up a warning stating:

"You are about to change a split that is linked to a reconciled split. Doing so might make future reconciliation difficult! Continue with this change?"

Would this serve the same purpose as a reminder not to alter the data?

Mike E