undo close books?

Ian Konen iankonen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 09:58:51 EDT 2013

I would think if your accountant is requiring you to "close your
books" and "transfer balances" the analogous action in GnuCash would
be to run the close books tool and create a new file with just opening
balances every year.  If that's acceptable to the user, it also solves
the "lock old data" problem because now you can make the old files
read-only (or burn to CD or only open copies of the master file
yada...yada...) and the user shouldn't need to add or modify any
transactions in the old files anymore than they would if they were
literally "books".  I was under the impression that type of use is
precisely what "export accounts" is for, but you probably know that
history better than I do...

It does sacrifice the convenience of having multiple years of data in
one file (as has been pointed out in this thread), but if an
accountant is requiring you to "close your books" every year, I assume
(s)he would not expect you to be able to produce a multi-year report
either.