Load QIF files (from Quicken) Error

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 20:09:53 EDT 2013

On 10/18/2013 8:47 AM, dhodge at regnervet.com wrote:
> This morning I thought I'd try GnuCash.  After downloading the program and saving my Quicken db in a QIF format - I began loading the files and received the following:
>

> *        Line 107: Some characters have been discarded. Converted to: }_
>
> *        Line 126565: Some characters have been discarded. Converted to: }_
>
> *        Line 126567: Some characters have been converted according to your locale. Converted to: Type:8<sv
>
> *        Account type: Unrecognized account type '}_'. Defaulting to Bank.
>
> *        Account type: Unrecognized account type '}_'. Defaulting to Bank.
>
> *        Transaction date: Unrecognized or inconsistent format.
>
> I don't find an option to review and deal with the error and move "forward".  Any suggestions?
>
> Best Regards,
>
> David

It would be helpful if you gave more detailed information such as your
operating system,  your locale, the version of GnuCash that you
downloaded and specifically when and where those messages appeared.  It
may also matter which version of Quicken you exported from.  Those
strange errors suggest that the import file is not a well formed QIF
format file.  There are also one or two idiosyncrasies about date format
that you may also have encountered.

You might also find it helpful to start with a very small QIF import
containing only a couple of transactions before jumping in with both feet.

David C