OS/X 9 Mavericks -- "Get Quotes" issue

Steve Drach drach at itsit.org
Wed Oct 23 13:11:03 EDT 2013

I installed Gnucash 2.4.13.  Starts up fine.

As for Finance::Quote — not so easy.

First the Xcode command line tools can’t be retrieved from Xcode.  Follow the links to more developer tools and that brings up a web page.  You must be a registered developer to access it!  Then you can download and install the developer tools.

Then I copied FinanceQuote Update to /Applications (at one time I needed to do that, so I keep doing it ;-).  Neither double clicking nor just opening it from terminal window works.  In both cases I get a dialog box that says:

“FinanceQuote Update” is damaged and can’t be opened.  You should move it to the Trash.

Next, using the terminal I cd’ed to /Applications/FinanceQuote Update.app/Contents/MacOS and typed

$ sudo ./applet

That seemed to work, I answered the questions (sudo, not local::lib) and ran the live tests.  Then I restarted Gnucash and the "Get Quotes” button was available and works, although the value of my portfolio decreased :-(