Entering transactions directly into A/P or A/R: P, I, ?

vitaeterna vitaeterna2004 at yahoo.ca
Fri Oct 25 17:11:30 EDT 2013

I was reading in some other posts that it is not a good idea to enter
transactions directly into the A/P or A/R registers, why is that?
Specifically I was using that for split transactions involving Payroll where
several accounts were being affected and I wanted to see everything at a
glance.  Also it gives me a choice of the Type:  P, I or ?  What difference
does each of those choices make?