Reconciliation: Incorrect Starting Balance

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Sun Oct 27 05:57:02 EDT 2013

Hi David.

Which type of account are you trying to reconcile - bank, credit card etc?

Have you checked the Register "View->Filter by" settings that there are no
excluded dates or transactions (although, I don't think this would affect the
reconcile window)

When you started with GC, was this account extant, and did it have a balance
at that date? (according to the bank/institution)

My advice is that you should unreconcile the account, and go back to day 0 and
start from there, where the reconcile dialog starting balance should return to
0. That has worked for me in the past when reconciles have gone awry.

going back to your first post:
On Fri 25 October 13 13:13:23 DGPickett wrote:
> There should be a way to zap the account back to all 'n' with $0 balance
> reconciled, so it can be re-reconciled.

I agree, this would be an occasionally useful enhancement to GC.  The only way
to unreconcile an account at present is the tedious way.  I have found that
telling GC to not display the unreconciled txns in the register helps here
(View -> Filter by -> status).

HTH,
Maf.

On Sat 26 October 13 18:12:21 David wrote:
> No, born in US, my GPA in EE Computer Design at Drexel was 3.952.  I have
> worked with computers since Fortran on a GE 415 at Union College in 1967,
> hardware and software.
>
> I was redoing almost a whole year, plus future trans for a year, and I
> deleted some and replaced them with new trans, and moved some around that
> were on the wrong year.  I could not reconcile any part of the account, not
> even for the first transaction, chronologically -- it has $6.37 from
> somewhere before the first transaction in some invisible or hidden in the
> pile at a future visible date, pre-dated cell.  If I put in a dummy
> transaction ahead of the first chronologically to do an adjustment, it was
> just as impossible to reconcile.  I could reconcile to a magic number that
> was 6.37 too high, not the amount of the first transaction (the running
> balance of the first transaction).
>
> I put in a 6.37 transaction, reconciled it with a magic balance, moved it
> into the future, and then I could balance the first transaction.  By
> adjusting the amount of this formerly past now future transaction, I could
> now balance any date, including the current amount at the running balance.
> That is a work around for now.
>

>  Maybe, in a year, the right amount to balance will be zero, and I can
> delete the fake.

Maf. King
PGP Key fingerprint = 8D68 A91F 733B 2C1F 43B7  2B7C E591 E8E1 0DE7 C542