New (Forced) download of GnuCash

Alois Mahdal alois.mahdal.1-ndmail at zxcvb.cz
Sun Oct 27 06:46:05 EDT 2013

Hi,

On 2013-10-27 01:20, quintain wrote:
> Hi
> Due to broken PC I need to install new copy of GnuCash.
> I can access my old files from faulty PC.
>
> What is the best procedure for installing and setting up Gnucash on
> new hard
> drive.
>
> I.E. Do I just download GnuCash and import my transactions/data into
> it or
> do I fully set up GnuCash as though for the first time ?? (if I can
> remember
> how I set it up).
> Will the new installation be able to pick up my altered accounts
> names and
> Description etc.

I hope there will be someone more experienced to give you more
complete answer, but my two cents:

It may depend on file format that you have chosen.  I have been
using Gnucash for personal accounting, for few months on two
different machines, the gzipped XML *.gnucash file being only
thing synchronized using Dropbox.

The actual accounting data was always preserved and up-to
date.  What did not transfer with this file was layout of
windows *including* reports -- on primary machine I was using
two window layout, one with few accounts, and other with
several customized reports.

I believe there is a way to also preserve those, though.

The reason I'm saying "I was using" is that I'm currently
leaving my job so I'm letting go the workstation, which due to
huge monitor and plenty of space, I have been using as primary
box for this task.

So I'm in fact solving somehow similar problem very soon.

Both my machines are running Debian (Wheezy and Jezzie), for
that matter.

aL.

--
Alois Mahdal