Check and Repair working?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Oct 28 11:21:58 EDT 2013

Jamestk <davidjamestk at hotmail.co.uk> writes:

> Hello all.
>
> I inadvertently closed down GNU cash and re-started without giving the
> application enough time to write back data.

If you exited gnucash normally (e.g. via File -> Quit or even clicking
on the [x] on the main window) then GnuCash wont actually exit until the
file is 'saved'...  So unles you force-killed the app it's unlikely it
failed to write out the data.

> As a precaution I ran the above command mistakenly thinking it would check
> the GNU cash file for errors. As above, it ran silently with no report or
> option to accept/undo changes. Is it possible multiple changes would have
> been made to accounts or entries?

No, and if they were GnuCash would show you that changes were made by
marking the file dirty, putting an asterisk (*) in the titlebar, and
making the 'save' button active.

Of course this assumes you're using the XML backend and not the SQL
backend.