Reconcilliation warning dialog bug

Ian Konen iankonen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 12:24:43 EDT 2013

I think this is better in it's own thread, but David Pickett's ongoing
reconciliation thread did bring up what I think should be considered
an actual bug in GnuCash and may be the source of his original error:

If I reconcile my checking account and then try to change a reconciled
transaction from that register, I get a warning dialog.  Good!...I
probably didn't mean to do that.

If I switch to an expense account register (presumably not reconciled)
and change the value of a "simple" two split transaction from that
register while in the basic ledger view, GnuCash automatically updates
both splits to the new value, and will not give me warning dialog if
the other account's split had been reconciled.  Now I've changed up a
reconciled split and may not even realize I've done it (cat on the
keyboard as it were).

I understand why it's the individual splits that are reconciled and
not the transaction as a whole (paying my credit card from my checking
account, for example, creates a transaction I reconcile twice: once
with each account statement).  I could also see how you wouldn't want
to lock out my ability to modify other splits in the same transaction
as a reconciled split (re-categorizing expenses for example).  But
this handy register entry functionality that allows me to only type in
a transaction value once also defeats the protection of the warning
dialog, and probably should not.

--
Ian Konen
iankonen at gmail.com