GAAP Indirect Statement of Cash Flows

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Tue Oct 29 16:51:43 EDT 2013

>My apologies if this has been answered but I can't find anything in the
>archives or via Google queries that indicate how to do this.  How does one
>generate an indirect statement of cash flows from Gnucash?
>
>In other words, instead of a "money goes into selected accounts" and "money
>goes out of selected accounts" statement, I would like a statement that's in
>line with GAAP.
>
>Thanks,
>
>David

What EXACTLY are you asking for, David? Are you asking .........
1) Are there reports that gnucash could produce for me that provided my
chart of accounts were properly set up I could take the data from these
reports and with that data create the "statement of cash flow" as you
have just described? The answer to that is yes.
2) Does gnucash have some  function where I can just press a button and
this particular financial report will be produced as the output? The
answer to that is no.

Look, when I first took up with gnucash I asked the lawyer/accountant
type on our board who would help me prepare the annual report "should I
write custom code to generate the standard report for this according to
GAAP as it applies to non-profits?" (and understand I made my living
designing/writing software for financial systems). He said "Don't bother
Mike. Any accountant would prefer to just take the data s output by
gnucash and using a favorite editor combine that data into the finished
product. After all, the full power of an general purpose editor is going
to be needed ANYWAY by the time we stick in text describing the
accounting principles used, defining what we consider fixed assets, what
depreciation process will be used, etc. and then think about all the
places will be sticking in annotations and the text of the footnote
explaining them.

Think of ALL of the possible different financial reports that might be
required of any form of entity in any jurisdiction on the planet. We
need gnucash to be able to produce the data necessary to be able for us
to create whatever (finished product) report we require. Asking for a
button that automates down to the almost finished product? (you'd STILL
maybe want to edit for fonts and other typographic considerations like
page breaks forced to reasonable places ). That's really too much to
ask. Think of how MANY buttons need to be designed and coded!

Michael D Novack, FLMI

>Specifically, I would like to get:
>
>Net Income
>+ Depreciation
>+ Amortization
>+ Decrease (increase) A/R
>+ Decrease (increase) Inventory
>+ Increase (decrease) A/P
>Net Cash Flow from Operating Activities (CFO)
>
>- Capital Expenditures
>- Investments
>+ Other Cash Provided (Consumed by) Investing Activities
>Net Cash Flow from Investing Activities (CFI)
>
>+ Increase (decrease) in Long Term Debt
>+ Increase (decrease) in Short Term Debt
>Net Cash Flow from Financing Activities (CFF)
>
>Net Change in Cash
>
>Cash, Beginning of Period
>Cash, End of Period

There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.