Need Help with Reconciliation Mistake

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Thu Apr 3 11:02:23 EDT 2014

On Thu 3 April 14 07:41:56 Mark Phillips wrote:
> I have been making weekly electronic payments of $820 out of my checking
> account and I made a reconciliation mistake and I don't know how to fix it.
> I successfully reconcile the account each month. I just reconciled the
> March statement and found this error.The transactions:
>
> 1/26 $820 Did not reconcile in January...must have picked another one in
> early Feb by mistake when reconciling the account in Feb.
>
> 2/24 $820 reconciled this one, but actually the bank had cancelled the
> transaction because there were two scheduled for the same day, which was
> correct, but the bank does not allow that.
>
> 3/3 $820 ck# 4427 - replaced the canceled electronic payment cancelled by
> the bank. This one is also reconciled.
>
> I seem to have missed adding a transaction to remove the canceled $820 on
> 2/24 as well.
>
> So, I would like to end up in this state, but I am not sure how to get
> there....
>
> 1. Add transaction dated 3/3 to reverse the 2/24 cancelled transaction.
> Reconcile this transaction.
> 2. Reconcile the transaction on 1/26.
>
> That should preserve the "paper trail" for all the transactions, and the
> balance should be the same. But how do I do this? Adding the transaction in
> #1 is not a problem, but I am not sure how to mark the transactions in #1
> and #2 as reconciled.

Hi,

So, if I understand you, the account balance is correct and reconciled, but
the transactions are wrong in that you've got to reverse a reconciled txn and
then reconcile the one you missed in from january.

I suggest you do the reversing transaction, then reconcile to the most recent
statement again - watch the opening date and balance though... and reconcile
the 2 new transactions.  If I'm right, magic will happen....

HTH,
Maf.

> Two other wrinkles....I no longer make these payments, so I can't catch up
> next month. Also, This account is for a trust that I manage, and one of the
> beneficiaries threatens lawsuits on a regular basis, so I can't just delete
> the 1/26 transaction...I have to preserve the paper trail throughout the
> account.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

Maf. King
PGP Key fingerprint = 8D68 A91F 733B 2C1F 43B7  2B7C E591 E8E1 0DE7 C542