total newbie - did something dumb - please help

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Apr 22 10:31:15 EDT 2014

Hi,

roberta actor-thomas <roberta.actorthomas at gmail.com> writes:

> Thank you so much for your response, Derek. I'll go back to the point where
> I'd created accounts, but not yet entered any sales, create my customer and
> read up on how to connect sales and invoices to the amount the customer owes
> in AR.

All you do is create the Invoice for the Customer, assigned
"Income:Sales" (or whatever income/sales account you use) to the
line-items in the Invoice, then post the invoice to A/R.  That will
generate the "Income -> A/R" transaction.  Later, when they pay, just
"Process Payment" for the amount they paid.

>    They overpaid too, but want it to be applied to the next sale, so that
> will make it extra interesting. I know that extra $ is supposed to hang out in
> a liability account like "Unearned" - will see what the guide says about
> overpayments.

If it is overpaid the overpayment will hang around in A/R and will
automatically apply to future posted invoices for the Customer.  This
feature has always been there since the first release that included the
business features.

> Thanks again,
> Roberta

-derek