Cash Book

Chris Bester chrisbester at cybersmart.co.za
Thu Dec 18 02:42:36 EST 2014

Hi Michael

I am retired and have not touched any accounting programme for a long time.
As from January 2013 I have been called in to help out at a Non-Profit
Organisation.   I had obtained a new computer in the meantime with Windows
7.  My previous accounting programs could not run on Windows 7. And to
upgrade would have cost a lot of money, hence, I stumbled on gnucash.  The
dominant accounting program in my country is Pastel.  I have also, over time
used Quick  Books and Brilliant etc.  All these programs automatically end
off books at the end of the prescribed financial year and start the new year
with new balances which are the ending balances of the previous year.  I
presume this is what David C is referring to.  No miraculous software as you
mentioned just getting yourself updated on other programs.  By continuous I
simply mean that in gnucash balances continue running for ever starting with
the original opening balance.  At the moment I have to recreate most of my
required financial statement on Excel.   The first thing Auditors do, when
you present your books, is to check your ending balances of the previous
year, see whether those are your opening balances for the new year and then
they continue reviewing your books.
May be David C is correct in saying I should look for different software/
programs and spend the money and go back to Patel.
Chris