Mac OSX "error parsing the file"--I need help!

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 09:11:13 EST 2014

On 24 December 2014 at 13:53, De Clarkson <deannaclarkson at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I do have another question.  I had assumed my Documents.gnucash file was
> corrupted, so yesterday I chose an older .gnucash file to open from inside
> the application, one with the most recent time and date stamp (which would
> be from October)   Now my logs have a compound title.  Gnucash is now taking
> the date and time stamp from the file I used to open it, and just adding the
> suffix of the new time and date stamp. This is now what my .log and .gnucash
> file names look like:
>
> Documents.gnucash.20141007112551.gnucash.20141223165540.log
> Documents.gnucash.20141007112551.gnucash
>
> The .gnucash file is from yesterday but it still has the time stamp from
> October.  It's just added another .gnucash to the end.  I no longer have a
> general Documents.gnucash file as my most recent one.   The log file now has
> the original October stamp with the December date added as a suffix.
>
> I suppose to fix this I could go into Gnucash and open the old
> Documents.gnucash file.  Now that it's working again I don't want to screw
> it up, but it would be nice if my log and gnucash files were backing up
> properly.  Should I open the Documents.gnucash from inside the app?

If you have brought one of the backups up to date and wish to carry on
using that one then in gnucash use File > Save As to save it as
whatever name you want (MyFinances.gnucash for example, or
Documents.gnucash if that is the name you like).  Then next time you
open GC it will automatically re-open the saved file.

Colin